"...it might be cool to start a meme where you list all the first lines of your fics and then people write drabbles in the comments with the same first line."
And, yeah, maybe if you don't want to do a drabble, I felt like putting the first lines of my fics. I looked at my fanfic.net profile the other day, which informed me I had 40 stories published there. 40! Over six fandoms, admittedly, but still quite impressive. Anyway, here are the first lines from each of those fics, in no particular order, just to celebrate my terrifying copiousness... I'd do the first lines from all of my fics, but we'd be here all night.
And let's see how well some of you know my fic; if not the actual fic, then guess the fandom. I think ennixeve may have something of an unfair advantage in that regard...
Randomised, because they're in batches by fandom and it'll look silly. Go on; guess that fandom! And, as an aside, see if you can guess which are the sillyfics and which are the almost-properly-constructed angst pieces...
2. He stood in the shadows, hiding.
3. I was beginning to wish I’d never gone to the holodeck.
4. Would you stay?
5. She lies there, and waits for the night.
6. It was May 19th.
7. The room is dark, its colouring somewhere between crimson and black.
8. The Slayer was in the kitchen making herself a very well-earned sandwich when it happened.
9. Isn't it curious how Fate works?
10. Nobody in their right mind would have been out in such weather as this.
11. Deep in a cave, miles from anything resembling civilisation, a very bruised and very blond vampire finally stopped screaming in agony, and collapsed in a heap on the floor.
12. How could I be so damn naïve?
13. She was in General-Buffy mode, and it was easier just to play along. (Gee, that's a tough fandom to guess... :P)
14. “Well… that was certainly an… interesting experience,” pondered Aeryn from the front of the prowler.
15. She still remembers it: that split second when she managed to ruin it all.
17. One cold night in Paris, I was sitting in a carriage.
18. The disc seemed to spin for an eternity, slowing as it reached its pinnacle.
19. "Once - you won't remember - if you said 'Hollywood', hers was the face you'd think of," Max had said; Max, in all his wisdom and his respect for his mistress, who believed Joe Gillis was probably too young to even remember her in her glory days. (Not a tricky one to guess, but it's always been one of my favourite first lines...)
20. James was distraught.
21. John Crichton was in that curious state somewhere between utter disbelief and agonising realisation… and it hurt like Hezmana.
22. I remember very little about my ‘ordeal’, as the doctor calls it.
23. It hurts… it’s excruciating, this pain.
24. Why, oh why did she end up in these situations?
25. I’m blinded.
26. She knows full well that sitting out here on the back porch won’t help anyone.
27. She stood there in all her glory, surrounded by the remains of the previous night’s set pieces.
28. It was an ordinary day in the Uncharted Territories.
29. Buffy really should have known better than to patrol when Spike wasn’t around.
30. John Crichton lay back on his bunk and clicked off the tape recorder, before hurling it haphazardly onto a pile of clothes in the corner of the room.
31.He let me go, she thought.
32. She was having the dream again, and no matter what she did, no matter what she thought about before going to sleep, nothing would make it go away.
33. The scene is set at the Transporter pads, where a substance is beamed aboard behind a forcefield.
34. Everyone is entitled to a little happiness, men, women, children and even pokémon. (Don't even say it. I know. I know... it was early in my ficcing career, okay?)
35. *Room - Terrace - 2 guests*
36. Don't get me wrong, this is not a diary - I'd like to think of it as more of a running commentary of my life at the moment.
37. He sat on the Terrace, knees hugged to his chest, staring into the bleakness that surrounded Moya.
38. I am Moya.
39. “This is my world now. I think I liked yours better…” (A direct quote: spot the quote, spot the fandom.)
(There's one missing because it's horrendously obvious. And because it was the BBC Message Board fic, and nobody would get it in a million years.)
Now I need to find that map. Thinking about it, that subject would make a pretty good first line, too...
Maybe I'll do a non-FFN version of this at some point just for some variation.